26 Mar. 2021
Today, the draw details for the Men’s and Women’s Handball Tournaments of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 have been released.
The draw will take place in the Head Office of the International Handball Federation (IHF) in Basel, Switzerland on 1 April 2021, at 10:00am CEST.
Men’s Handball Tournament
Pot 1: Denmark, Norway
Pot 2: France, Sweden
Pot 3: Germany, Portugal
Pot 4: Brazil, Japan
Pot 5: Spain, Egypt
Pot 6: Argentina, Bahrain
Women’s Handball Tournament
Pot 1: Netherlands, Spain
Pot 2: Russian Olympic Committee, Montenegro
Pot 3: Norway, Hungary
Pot 4: Sweden, Japan
Pot 5: France, Republic of Korea
Pot 6: Angola, Brazil
1. Teams in pot 6 are drawn to groups A and B in row 6.
2. Teams in pot 5 are drawn to groups A and B in row 5.
3. Teams in pot 3 are drawn to groups A and B in row 3.
4. Teams in pot 2 are drawn to groups A and B in row 2.
5. Teams in pot 1 are drawn to groups A and B in row 1.
6. Organiser Japan has the prerogative to assign itself to a group of its choice in row 4.
7. The remaining team in pot 4 is assigned to the other group in row 4.
The draw for the Tokyo 2020 Handball Tournaments will be streamed live on the IHF Facebook page.
The Tokyo 2020 handball competitions start on Saturday, 24 July, with the preliminary round of the men’s tournament throwing off. The women’s competition starts the following day, on Sunday, 25 July. The medal matches will be played on 7 August (men) and 8 August (women).
All games will be played at the Yoyogi National Stadium in Tokyo.
Visit tokyo2020.org for more information on the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.