We use cookies

By continuing to browse ihf.info, you agree to our terms of use , privacy policy and the use of cookies. For more information, please review our cookie policy.



Date: 6/1/2014

In the most spectacular and thrilling FINAL4 event since its implementation in 2010, German side SG Flensburg-Handewitt raised the trophy of the EHF Champions League for the first time ever in their club history on Sunday 1 June 2014. In the second ever all-German duel in the history of the Champions League, they beat THW Kiel in the “re-match” of the 2007 finals by 30:28 (14:16) to make their dream come true and to qualify as European representative for the IHF Super Globe in Doha in September. Main contender FC Barcelona finished on the third position ahead of MKB Veszprem (Hungary).

“Words cannot express what has happened. We are stunned, we are shocked in a positive way, we are simply happy, as this was so unexpected,” Flensburg's goalkeeper Mattias Andersson said after raising the trophy. His 23 saves in the final were the key to the biggest surprise in the history of the FINAL4.
His team had already made history 24 hours before in the semi-final: Eight minutes before the end against FC Barcelona they were down by 26:32 - and no one had any hopes to proceed anymore. But then the Catalans, defending champions of the IHF Super Globe in Doha, lost their rhythm completely. Flensburg reduced the gap goal by goal - and at the beginning of the last minute it was only 30:32. Finally a double strike of German international Holger Glandorf, including the equalizer right with the final whistle, turned the match around - extra-time!
Within the crucial ten minutes Flensburg caught up a two-goal deficit again and leveled the result, so for the first time in the EHF Champions League a penalty shoot-out needed to decide a finalist. And while all Flensburg players scored, French Nikola Karabatic failed against Andersson - Flensburg had made the arena go crazy and reached their third Champions League final after 2004 (against Celje) and 2007 (against Kiel) by a spectacular 41:39 (18:17, 32:32, 36:36). 

On the other hand, Kiel didn’t have to shiver as their local rivals to make it to their seventh ever final of the Champions League. The 2011 winner of the IHF Super Globe and three-time Champions League winner (2007, 2010, 2010) beat MVM-MKB Veszprem (Hungary) in a combative semi clash by 29:26, mainly thanks to the saves of goalkeeper Andreas Palicka and the seven goals of Aron Palmarsson.
After Barcelona had taken the third place beating Veszprem 26:25 including eleven goals of Belarusian Siarhei Rutenka, all was set for another thriller. THW were the great favourite and took this role very impressively in the initial stages by leading 12:6. But then Andersson shut his goal, and at the break the distance had decreased to only 16:14. At 19:19 Flensburg equalized for the first time, and when they took the lead for the first time they were flying on the wings of success to win their first trophy. Again they caught up a six-goal deficit to finally stand on top of the podium.
“I'm speechless. I am so proud, proud of my team. I told them before the match that I was proud just to be here today, because we did something great yesterday. And today, I do not know what we did. It was incredible, I just want to thank everybody who supported us and I want to thank my players for this season. Incredible,” said coach Ljubomir Vranjes after the final. 
Result summary:
THW Kiel (GER) vs. MVM-MKB Veszprem (HUN) 29:26 (13:13)
FC Barcelona (ESP) vs. SG Flensburg-Handewitt (GER) 39:41 (17:18, 32:32, 36:36) after extra-time and penalty shoot-out

Bronze Final:
FC Barcelona vs. MVM-MKB Veszprem 26:25 (9:10)

SG Flensburg-Handewitt - THW Kiel 30:28 (14:16)